About M.Sc (Chemistry) Department
A brief history:
The PG Department of Chemistry was established in the year 2008. The first batch of M.Sc., General Chemistry couirse affiliated to University of Mysore with sanctioned strength of 20 students was started in the same year under the Headship of Prof. Othbert Pinto. Initially the classes were held in the UG Department of Chemistry. The examination was conducted by the University of Mysore. University latter enhanced the students intake to 24, then to 30 and now it is 45. The Department was shifted to the New PG block in the year 2010. The University Grants Commission, Government of India sanctioned the Autonomous Status to the College in the year 2011. At present the course is affiliated to the University of Mysore under Autonomous status .The department has its own syllabus, board of studies and board of examiners.
The department has well qualified experience & committed research oriented faculty members, sufficient number of class rooms with multimedia projectors with broad band connectivity, three spacious well equipped laboratories and one research lab. The class rooms and labs are provided with uninterrupted power back up with32 KW/40 KVA diesel generator and 10KV UPS. The students have an access to 120 departmental books. The centralized library with an access to digital library which provides several significant links namely, N-list of INFLIBNET, open access journals, mail servers, photo gallery etc. The library also subscribes to UGC / INFLIBNET funded online E- resources project called N-list. This programme provides access to more than 2,160 e- journals and more than 52,000 e-books from different publishers. The library also provides to the students 2 Mbps speed, hassle free broad band facility.
1. Mr. Othbert Pinto, M.Sc., Associate Professor
4. Dr. A Shivakumar, Msc., Ph.D., NET, Assistant Professor Publication details of A. Shivakumar
Strive to create knowledge to take best advantage of their educational opportunities.
To assist students to acquire maturity, wisdom, honesty willingness to serve the common man.
1. Area of Research of the department:
- Synthesis and anticancer activity of Schiff bases and their metal complexes
- Analytical methodology in the evaluation of enzyme based substrate assays
- Developing a new spectrophotometric method to determine the sulfur dioxide and fluoride in environmental and food samples.
- Ecofriendly green synthesis and applications of benzophenone conjugated coumarin analogues via 1, 3, 4oxadiazole: a novel target for pharmacotherapy.
- Conventional and green protocol for the synthesis of functionalized benzophenone derivatives as potential antitumor agents: a simplistic approach towards green chemistry and pharmacotherapy.
- The department has one ongoing minor research project financed by UGC.
- The department has submitted proposal to UGC for Three Minor Research Projects and one Major Project to DST.
- The faculty members are actively involved in quality research work and have published more than 85 research papers in International and National Journals.
2. Strength of the Department:
- Good team spirit among the faculty members
- Committed research oriented faculties who are willing to learn and adapt themselves to the required academic challenges
- Good personal relationships with students.
- Excellent maintenance of laboratory and instrumental facilities
- Remedial classes for slow learners
- In house research projects leading to original research work publications
- Student mentoring
- 100% result
3. Extension Activities for students:
- Chemistry club for promotion of innovation and skill development of the students
- Mandatory Industrial visits
- Seminar/conference/workshop/guest lectures.
- In house projects to the students with publication of original research work in reputed journals.
- Bringing awareness among the public to detect adulterants in food items by demonstrating live tests at various public places in the city of Mysore in collaboration with MGP.
- 4. Alumni Achievements:
- Cleared NET & GATE examinations.
- Perusing research with fellowship leading to Ph.D in reputed institutions like CFRTI, IISER-Pune, Jain University, University of Mysore .
- Well placed in industries like Biocon, Jubilant Life Sciences, British Biological Ltd. CIPET and some have opted for teaching profession in various institutions
- 5. Future Plans of the Department:
To give more thrust to enable the students to pass in the national level examinations like IAS, IPS, CSIR, UGC –NET, SLET etc.
Bachelor Degree in respective subjects with 45%(40% for SC/ST and Category I candidates)