DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
A Brief History:
The Department of Chemistry came into existence when the college was established in the year 1946, with the objective of giving a practical and concrete shape to the educational ideas of its founders. Hence, since its inception, the department has been engaged in imparting the highest level and quality of academic education. As it was the first science college in the Princely city of Mysore, the Department had good student strength. To accommodate the students, the Department had 3 laboratories, but during 2001-02, the Govt. of Karnataka bifurcated the P.U. College from the Degree College and the Department had to part with one of its laboratories. At present, the department has 2 laboratories which can accommodate strength of 100 students at a time. The laboratories are adequately equipped with the latest instruments required to carry out the modern day chemistry practicals.
In 2011, the college attained the autonomous status and since then the department has the academic flexibility for framing the syllabus and conducting examinations. The syllabus is periodically modified to accommodate advanced trends in chemistry. The department has the distinction of starting the first P.G programme of the college, M.Sc. in Chemistry in the year 2009 and is successfully marching forward with a vision of commencing M.Phil programme and establishing a full fledged research centre. At present, the department has a dedicated team of four staff members in the U.G programme with a rich teaching and research experience of over two decades.
Present Faculty :
- Dr. Alphonsus D’Souza – Associate Professor and HOD.
- Ms. Agnes Sylvia D’Souza- Associate professor.
- Dr. Ravi J.D.Saldanha- Associate professor.
- Mr. R. Britto Dominic Rayan –Associate Professor (Deputed to Government College, Hunsur).
- Ms. Bindu.
The department has engaged with research activities for a number of years. Three minor research projects funded by UGC have been successfully completed and at present the department is working on three more projects. Ms Agnes Sylvia D’Souza has been sanctioned with a minor research project by U.G.C. The department has the credit of publishing 10 researches. Articles so far and a number of articles have been presented in various seminars and conferences. The department had the privilege of organizing a few conferences/seminars and is planning to organize a few seminars/conferences both national and international in the near future. The department is also engaged in extension activities such as visiting schools and holding demonstrations to popularize basic science. The Department is also involved in distance education programme of Kuvempu University.
Support Staff :
- Sri Benedict Dias
- Sri Antony J. R. Gerald
Future Plan of Action :
- To carry out major revision in the curriculum after studying curriculum of top Universities / Colleges.
- To introduce project work as one of the practical paper in the V and VI semester.
- Tie up with the industry – making internship as a part of the project work.
- Motivating the students to take up summer research programmes organized by reputed institutions like IISc.
- Arranging guest lectures by eminent scientists and industrialists.
- Motivating the students to write research articles and publish in the national/ international Journals.
- Taking up minor/major research projects and publishing research articles in the reputed Journals.
- To develop research centre and taking up the guideship.
- To carry out collaborative work with the industry and institutions.
- Popularizing basic science by carrying out extension activities for high school students.
- Authoring and publishing chemistry books based on present syllabus.